The Ban Ki-moon Essay Competition
First edition’s topic: Generations in Action: The struggle of the Albanian youth against apathy.
In many countries around the world, including the United States, young people are spending more and more time engaging in volunteer work and activism in defense of human dignity, the environment, freedom of speech and freedom of movement. This wave of youth energy is slowly but surely overtaking the young people of our country too. However, in order to work for a safer, more dignified and cleaner Albania, first and foremost we need to fight for a less apathetic youth. We understand that the struggle of young people against apathy and passivity starts by recognizing through the eyes of our generation, what apathy and passivity look like. Hence, we open this call for essays that respond among other things, to important questions as: What is Youth Apathy for you? What triggers it? How can we tackle it? What are your experiences regarding efforts for a more active and aware youth?
- The competition is open to all the citizens and residents of Albania aged 15-19 and is open from 6 February to 6 March 2017.
- Essays must be 700 words or less in Albanian excluding essay title and cover page.
- Essays must have a cover page indicating your essay title, your name, address, phone number, age, gender, school name and word count.
- * Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- UN Youth Albania will confirm receipt of essays or answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
- The jury is composed by renowned professors, journalists, and publishers.
- Entries shall be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The 3 best essays will be published in the UNYAA blog and our Facebook page.
The authors of the 3 best essays will be invited to a conference which will take place in Tirana by the end of March where they will have the chance to present their work and discuss the topic together with the jury of the contest and many young Albanians.